Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Worst Type Of 'Off-The-Road' Driver

Is the type that bumps, scratches or bashes your car and drives away - there's a special place in hell for this type of person (just kidding...kinda). This morning, out of the corner of my eye I noticed something very disturbing and shown in the attached photo (a bit unclear having been taken in the underground parking with my phone). A massive white scraping along the front part of my bumper. But in order to understand why this is such a catastrophe, let me explain my extreme paranoia regarding my car.
I spend a lot of mental energy worrying about things that could go wrong with my car - too much parking out in the open - mass fading. Parking without full, four wall and roof cover - huge hail storm hits, comes shooting down from every angle and bang - massive hail damage. The sound of the fan belt - is it normal? The sound the brakes make - I've been told by various people, people who think they're experts and the experts themselves that this is normal because there's no asbestos in the brakes - good for my health bad for my ears. But the sound doesn't bother me but what if one day, boom, they just stop working (I watched an episode of Rescue 911 where this actually happened to someone, true story and on the highway nochal!).

So I don't have space in my head to worry about careless drivers who just don't give half a shit. Which brings me back to this morning's incident. I don't know when the crime occurred since I only noticed the damage this morning but it must've been recent because my paranoid, beady eye wouldn't have missed that one for long.
So, what should a decent human being do under these particular circumstances: Find a piece of paper, write something like: 'Sorry I bashed your car, call me and I'll sort it out' followed by a reachable number. Too difficult? No. I've done it before. And it was a big fancy Merc too. Later that day I got a phone call which went something like this:

RING RING
Lisa: Hello.
Anonymous man: Is this Lisa?
(Anticipating this phone call - reply:)
Lisa: Unfortunately.
Anonymous man: Thanks for leaving that note on my car, I really couldn't believe it! Not many people would do that and you don't have to worry about paying for it.
Lisa: Wow, thanks. And again, I'm so sorry.
Kind, sweet, wonderful old man I'll never forget: It's a pleasure my darling (really he did say 'darling'). In fact, I'm so grateful I'm giving you my Merc.


OK, last part not true (duh) but the rest is pretty much how the conversation went. So had this person left me a note I would've told them the same thing: ‘Thanks so much but don't worry about it’. Because all my car needs is some TLC from the panel beater and she'll be good as new. But to that person out there: karma comes back around so careful who you park next too because you may be left with more than paint scrape (sinister music under throughout) and then you'll be sorry! But then again, maybe this person had an emergency or a really legitimate reason and in that case I forgive them. Ah, I feel much better for getting that all off my chest!

No comments:

Post a Comment